Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Playing harmonica in a rack?

Jon asks:

"I tried the dressing up like a pirate approach but couldn't keep the  eye
patch in place while playing on a rack.... Seriously, any tips on  using
a rack to make it easier to get around on the harp? I am  supposing it is
just a matter of familiarity, practice and adjustment  of the rack but if
there are tips on what made it work better for you  I am all ears. Any
particular type better than others? Seems like the  neck frame
shape/materials might make a difference but I only have one  and have not
tried others.
Cheers.
Jon'

...Jon, I don't know if you're in the States or not...but at just  about
every Convention I've been to (and many I've not)...Marv Munroe of  Ohio is
usually in attendance as a "strolling minstrel"  with  his rack holding at least two
harps he's rigged up himself...and is always  only too happy to discuss
details of how he's tinkered with it to achieve  his needs.  It's a work
continually in progress as Marv will tell  you, in order to be the perfect rack for
him....there are a couple of  photos of him using it on Pages 32 and  33 of the
brand-new issue of  Harmonica Happenings (just put out by SPAH).

I know he plays the XB40 as well as regular diatonics...and is the  nicest
guy..always in the thick of the Open Mic set-ups and sing-alongs  with brother
Roger,  ready to back up anyone who needs him on  guitar.

Jimi Lee (Texas?) also plays incredibly well on guitar and  harmonica with a
rack..is also a "strolling minstrel" so to speak,  starting mini-jams in the
corridors with a more country/rock approach at  most of the same conventions.
Terrific guy.

Elizabeth