Re: [Harp-L] Seydel paddy Richter

The name is a synonym for the Irish 'Paddy', and Richter refers to the closeness to Richter Tuning. This tuning was invented and named by Brendan Power, and first used on his New Irish Harmonica CD (in both diatonic and chromatic harmonica versions).
He has written an instruction book/CD for the tuning called Play Irish Music on the Blues Harp, which is available from his website: www.brendan-power.com"
<http://www.brendan-power.com>

Thanks,

Rupert Oysler

The Paddy Richter tuning is useful for Irish tunes in that the missing sixth note of the scale in the lowest octave is replaced. This is most important in the case of tunes in G or related modes. A standard G harp will restrict what tunes you can play quite severely, as many G tunes dip into that territory between 3-blow and 4-blow. Glenn Weiser's great book of Irish fiddle tunes for harmonica recommends a 12-hole G harp for some tunes to get round the problem of the missing note without retuning. The trouble here is that you can end up playing an octave above the fiddles if you're playing in a session, as I am always doing. The missing 6th isn't quite so crucial for tunes in D or related modes, though I can think of a good few that do. It's a long story, but D tunes tend not to dip below the tonic D too often because instruments such as flutes and whistles can't go that low. Anyway, I find it best to have all my harps in Paddy Richter for Irish music, as I then have all the advantages without any of the disadvantages.

You can do it by retuning 3-blow up by a whole tone, and this is standard practice. But you can also do it by raising 2-draw instead, and I did this to all my harps long before I heard of Brendan's 3-blow method. In fact he and I discussed the relative merits of our two alternatives one night when we crossed paths at one of his gigs in my home town Bude, here in Cornwall. Must have been eleven or twelve years ago! I could definitely see all the advantages of his way of doing it, but in spite of that I've stuck with my way out of sheer inertia, plus the fact that you can tune up 2-draw without taking off the reedplates!

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

Click Here To Find Your Perfect Match This Valentines! http://msnuk.match.com/