[Harp-L] Re: Musicians and the Law

I can vouch for what Gary says.   This isn't 1967 anymore folks.  Canned Heat's amusing lyric to
"My Crime"  may have been true then, but based on my 25 years of law-enforcement experience, I'd
say those days are long gone.  Sure some musicians are still going to have bad encounters, but in
my jurisdiction you may be more likely to get a better shake than a non-musician!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Will & All,

As a Magistrate for the city, I hold probable cause hearings all day
long and have many officers testify.  I keep an acoustic guitar on a
stand next to me, and 3 harmonicas on my desk.  During lulls in
action, I'll practice my harps or guitar.
Many officers, before a hearing commences, look at the guitar and
say, "May I?", then pick it up and stumble through the opening of
Stairway to Heaven, or a blues riff, or whatever.  My point is, many
of my officers play an instrument, and I detect no bias at all
against musicians.
An officer, going out on a call, has no idea who's a threat and who
is not, and must  approach any situation with safety foremost on
their mind.   Everyone they meet on a call is potentially a bad guy,
but once they see you're a "normal" person, who poses no threat to
them or the public, they'll loosen up a bit.
Understand the situation from their perspective, and contacts with
them will end up "friendlier."

Gary Cohen
Magistrate, City of Mobile