[Harp-L] Re: Pleasure of inhaling (was Cheating on your C Harp )

Actually, I was being both light-hearted and serious (or at least
factual about observations). From her offlist reply, I know that
Rebecca approached it in a similar spirit.

Slight change of topic: While I've never felt the least guilt about
what harps I play (though I resisted the accordion temptation for a
long before giving in), I'm sometimes given to wonder about the
harmonica as an analog for orally-acquired addictive substances like
smoke/drink/food.

While many musical instruments are played only by blowing, the act of
inhaling on a harmonica is physically not unlike smoking. And like
smoking, drinking, and eating, it involves bringing something into your
body that changes your mood.

Harmonica playing may not be physically addictive like some substances.
And it may not impair your health or get you arrested (though in
extreme instances it might lead to counseling).

But does it nonetheless follow a psychological dynamic similar to
addiction?

Don't look at me. I can quit anytime I want. I just don't care to right
now.

Winslow

--- EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Winslow responds to Rebecca's: "--- Rebecca Davis Winters
> <wordworkshop@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > But  really, the harmonica itself is
> > kind of
> > phallic, in terms  of the shape and the fact that the player
> becomes
> > the
> >  passive receiver of the harmonica.
>
> ..."Could that statement be a  feminine viewpoint attributed to
> males?"
>
> Ulp.....absolutely NOT Winslow....at least not from THIS female's
> point of
> view.  :)  I've never spared a second's thought of the  harmonica as
> a symbol
> of anything.....phallic or otherwise, and consider  myself and
> Rebecca to be
> Poles apart on that point of view  ;)
>
> In re your:  " I'm a male player and never feel that I'm a  passive
> receiver.
> I feel I must
> actively persuade the harmonica to  respond and that I'm exploring
> its
> ability to do so."
>
> .... Couldn't agree more.
>
> ....Of course I'm assuming that Rebecca was merely being as
> light-hearted,
> humorous and tongue-in-cheek as the originator of this  thread?
>
> Elizabeth

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.