From: mjmeadors@xxxxxxx
To: Harpburns@xxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 5:16 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Train Time tab by CREAM... does it exist??? Please Help!!!

You mastered Traintime in a week as a rank beginner?  My guess is that you, at least at that time, didn't know anything about playing harp and like many before you (including myself), only THOUGHT you were playing the licks correctly.  As you may know now, the more you play and learn, the more you recognize critical nuances that set apart the great players from the hackers, and you realize that what you were playing previously WASN'T that wonderful as you thought at the time.

Traintime depends not just on the chug-a-chug rhythm, but on many, many accents shared with the drummer and the dynamics of the song.  THAT'S the song -- the two instruments.  Just doing the chug-a-chug and the big draw bend on 3 and 4 isn't mastering the song.  It's like saying that because you know a few words in Spanish, you can speak the language.  If you sounded like Jack Bruce in a week, I hope you became a professional harp player and wrote a book for the rest of us for whom learning such licks in their entireity might take more than one week.  I'm not trying to be hostile or confrontational, but your comment just struck me in a weird way.

Mike
Gainesville