Re: [Harp-L] The loud drunk guitar player

In our band there are several reasons for playing loud.

Our first drummer was playing so incredibly loud. Everybody cranked their amps up - everybody except me, I had troubles with feedback and switched to playing directly into the PA.

When he quit the band, I thought about switching back to my trusty old 15W amp, but the guitarist still played at this deafening volume. Most loud guitarist seem to play loud because they're nearly deaf from playing too loud.

I finally convinced him to turn his volume down. But all of a sudden our singer told us, he'd need that high volume, 'cause otherwise he won't get the feeling. Everybody cranked up again - you guessed it: I still use the PA.

We tried it once again, but I realized we really need the blast. I mean playing kick-ass rock'n'roll and not feeling it is no fun. So I put in my earplugs (helps to hear what you're playing and prevents DGS (Deaf Guitarist Syndrome)) and feel the sound. And I swear to god: one day I'll come up with a Hyper-Giga-Super-Over-Amp, crank it all the way up and blow 'em all away! I'm really looking forward to this.

Positive side effect of all this: I had to improve my tone. Wimpy whistle doesn't fit high speed rock'n'roll.

Keep on rockin'

Ralf

David Fertig schrieb:
Aah, the loud drunk guitar player. How do you deal with that? Why do so many guitarists seem incapable of playing at less than very loud? Some say it’s the amp that needs volume for tone, I don’t buy it, not to the point of having to wear earplugs.

Is it a case of sword-wielding for sonic supremacy?

Is it solely the deafening effects of alcohol?

Is it any different from a harp player that plays loud constantly or over everyone on every fill?

Or is it the drummer who is culpable for volume-creep?

And why does it get so loud so often so quickly?!

Look at the American Folk Blues Festival dvds, they ain’t blasting, just playing beautifully.

Of course acoustic and electric are different styles, acoustic can be amplified and electric can be less than screaming, anyway when I gotta wear hearing protection to enjoy playing music the irony is too much for me.

So, how do you all deal with the creeping volume issue? I mean besides just getting more powerful amps and upping the ante all around?

-Dave Fertig

From: BiscuitBoy714@xxxxxxx Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Blues at # 9 Bleeker Street (Yippie Museum) Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 19:28:34 EDT To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

. . .
I used a little bitty Crate amp last time and it was fine until the loud drunk guitar player showed up. . . .
Randy
BiscuitBoy Blues