Re: [Harp-L] Has "Dueling Banjos" ever been performed on harmonica?

- not just tips either. I used to play with a pretty predictable blues band. They were OK, but it was the same old same old setwise. A year or two ago we did a gig in a pub in Kent. We were just packing up when a guy came up and offered us a hundred quid to play Hoochie Coochie Man again. Suddenly we weren't so tired any more. Suddenly I wasn't bored with playing the same riff 64 times punctuated by guitar solos. I guess he was trying to impress the girl he was with. Hope it worked.

Steve

----- Original Message ----- From: <Captron100@xxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 6:23 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Has "Dueling Banjos" ever been performed on harmonica?

In a message dated 4/30/2007 9:20:47 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, marc writes:

Does anyone play this or has anyone heard it performed?

Some folks avoid performing certain songs that they feel are overplayed.
Mustang Sally was one such song mentioned when this thread came up on Harp-L
a few months ago. Most venues around where i live, (unfortunately for me),
have crowds who want to hear the same old stuff, or who want to dance to the
same old stuff. Mustang Sally gets them on the dance floor, as Duelin'
Banjos often does. The other point in that thread was that playing these songs
generate tips.
I play Duelin' Banjos with 2 different guys -- one is with a guitarist,
and the other is with a banjoist. We have fun with it and the crowd loves it.
On a diatonic, it requires a 5 hole overblow, or a harp switch mid -song,
which the audience finds amusing. Myself, i usually use a standard diatonic
and a country tuned harp.
Friends of mine, the Doerfel Family Bluegrass Band, take DB to an even
greater level by throwing in snippets of well known rock songs. The band is
tight; it sounds great and increases everyone's interest, including that of the
musician's.

ron