Re: [Harp-L] Live Music Scene Reality Check

Let's not forget the real  meaning of 'amatuer'. It's from the same root as 'amor'. I have read that in past times among European classical musicians, the term 'professional' was one of derision, and 'amatuer' of respect.
RD

>>> "Walter Joyce" <wtjoyce45@xxxxxxxxxxx> 20/04/2007 7:19 >>>
I read the article about the world's finest violinist, Joshua Bell playing
at the train station in DC. To me it was not about music and the difficulty
of keeping an audiences attention, or even making a living playing music.

It was about our culture in America, it's obsession with work and
accumulating wealth, and what an unbalanced approach to living that is.

I enjoyed the part about the postal worker when he said choosing to not
pursue something you love as a profession doesn't mean you can't still
derive joy from the pursuit. Richard Hunter is a great example of that
principle at work.

The article also reminded me what a gift the ability to play music well is.
Sure, you need training and development to reach the level that Mr. Bell
has, but so many could put in the same hours and never come close to that
level of musicianship.

The article also made me think that the setting we play in, and the
expectations of our audiences have a huge factor in how well our music is
received.

I just finished reading the article, so these are first impressions.

thank you to whoever posted the article, it was a great thought provoking
piece.