Re: [Harp-L] Seydel 1847 stainless steel reed harmonica

I'm thinking the hardcore Marine Band players will be thrown for a loop by the covers. Not being open on the ends is huge. You lose so much technique because of that. The raised front edge of the covers makes them relatively tall in comparison to an 1896 MB. I don't like the rounded holes because it makes the edge more ambiguous. I tongue block about 60% of the time and any time I play rounded hole harmonicas I have trouble. The wider spacing and overall longer scale length takes away from what I can span with my tongue. You end up with longer wider movements for just about everything. Tongue flutters for instance. I do triplet runs by just barely shifting my tongue and flicking my wrist. It's pretty easy to play very fast runs with this technique. It's very spare in terms of the actual movements required. The wider hole spacing has shifted all of this into a much higher amplitude of movement. While I think I'll adjust I also think I'll ultimately lose some speed. I'm really hoping Marine Band covers will span the wider hole spacing. I liked the tone of this harmonica a lot more when I was playing it with the covers off. Just so no one thinks I'm picking on Seydel regarding this issue I'll also say that I don't like Special 20's or the Lee Oskars for the very same reason. Closed end covers. Not that I don't play both instruments. I use a low Eb Sp 20 and complete sets of the LO harmonic minor and natural minor harmonicas. I'd just be happier if the covers were open ended. In fact I have a couple examples of both types that have been retrofitted and I much prefer them. fjm