Re: [Harp-L] Transposing Audio Files to Sheet Music

hi Daniel

I think http://www.myriad-online.com/en/sharedxp/audiomidi/audiomidi.htm is
quite accurate

for single instrument recording (what they call monophonic audio), for
example, yourself playing alone at home, I believe you'll be able to get
some decent results if you play clear and without effects such as vibratos
and things like that. Even with these restrictions, I am not sure if the
accuracy will be good for fast notes, for example, because the program may
need, internally, some note sampling (duration?) to correctly identify it.

the fact is: homo sapiens is one of the best computers we have out there :-)
specially for some pattern recognition problems :-)

the computational problem of identifying an instrument among several others,
unfortunately, is very hard. To do that, I believe you would need to model
each instrument "timbre", and doing that seems to me a similar problem of
generating realistic instrument sound (synthesis) instead of sampling it.
And we know quite well that the harmonica sound, for example, is not only a
matter of the instrument, but a matter of how each player interacts with it.

and of course, another problem is chord recognition, as that article points,
which someone could not do using a tuner, I think

interestingly, the tecnology used to recognize voice has experienced a
substantial evolution in the last years. I wonder if we could have a
software that was calibrated by the user could not work well for simple
melodies. But recognizing words and notes are very different problems too.

if copyright wasn't an issue, I believe the best approach for this would be
to hire people in the 3rd world just to transcribe music into sheets :-)
this may sound insane, but I know companies that hire hundreds of
inexpensive workers just to typewrite manuscripts because it's easier and
more accurate than using OCRs (optical character recognition)... well, it
does not sound like fun, but at least, it's a decent job, if you're not
forcing children or exploring people...

best regards, sorry for the Engrish :-)

Kenji