Re: [Harp-L] Re: Portable digital recording studio

Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Zoom has just released the H4.  Records uncompressed WAV files
> (24 bit, up to 96 kHz bit) or MP3s on digital media cards (up to 2 GB
> for 380 minutes WAV recording, 34 hours MP3).

this one looks really nice.

> Has built in stereo condensor mics for live stereo recording.

these would be handy for recording jams and practices and such.
the fact that it also accepts external mics is important.  this lets you use
other/better mics if you want, and also allows the flexibility of positioning
the mics away from the device.  the latter is important for live recordings,
so you can get them away from noise sources (people in bars).  but for
simple recording, it's hard to beat "plop it on the bar and hit "record"".

> Has built in effects too: amp modeling, compression, reverb, etc.

these i'm not so keen on.  i'd much rather record a clean signal and mess
with it later, on a computer, where i have better control and can undo mistakes.

> Also includes a USB connector for uploading/downloading files to your PC;

this is also key.  i assume/expect it needs no proprietary software to transfer,
but just looks like another drive when plugged into the computer.  this is *very* important.

> I haven't tested one of these, but on the specs alone it's a very interesting buy
> at about $300 retail.  A 4-track studio complete with phantom powered mic inputs
> in your pocket for 3 bills?  Wow.

wow, indeed.  i know you're really busy, richard.  so if you'd like to buy me one,
i'd be happy to test it for you and write up my conclusions for the list.

----
Garry Hodgson, Senior Software Geek, AT&T CSO

But I'm not giving in an inch to fear
'Cause I promised myself this year
I feel like I owe it...to someone.