RE: [Harp-L] Diatonic to tremolo

From: Ivan Zivkovic <hardin369@xxxxxxxx>

I tried to get tabs for tremolo harp from tabs for diatonic. I assume that you cannot use diatonic >tabs for tremolo (maybe iam wrong). I used tabs of Dirty old town (Pouges) and combined >tremolo tuning charts from http://www.coast2coastmusic.com/double_reed/tuning_charts.shtml, >and diatonic http://www.coast2coastmusic.com/diatonic/tune_charts.shtml, and it doesnt seems >right. But maybe iam wrong! I hope someone will solve my problem!

I've never used tab at all, but I don't see why diatonic tab shouldn't work for tremolo. I play both kinds of harp...I could be wrong. Somebody will probably tell us.

The Pogues version of "Dirty Old Town" is quite interesting in that it has instrumental breaks (including the intro) in D, whereas the verses are sung in G. On a diatonic harp there are a few possibilities. You can play the intro and central instrumental break in first position in D on a D harp (low D for preference), then stick with the D harp and play the sung verses in 12th position, G. Or, you can use a G harp and play the intro and central break in second position, then the sung verses in first position, G. You can actually play this melody in three different positions on the one harp - first, second and 12th. Wanna practise your positions and the changeovers? This is the tune for you!

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm