Re: [Harp-L] Suzuki Firebreath

Winslow Yerxa wrote:

To reply briefly:

I don't really do brief, but fortunately, your brief is similar to mine, so I shall try to mimic it.

Yes it's a public forum and everyone has the right to say what they
want.

Glad we agree on that.

But I don't see people trumpeting to the world that - gasp! - a reed
failed! - every time it happens. It's not earth shattering news.

No, but that's why you have to put it into context (my favorite word). The context here may not be known to you. If you check the archives, you will see that Richard posted a long and favorable review of the Suzkie Firebreath. In that review he said he would keep the list updated on long-term progress and especially mentioned reed longevity. Thus, this post about a failed reed can only be understood within that context. As I said, perhaps you did not know that, in which case I understand your confusion. Reeds fail, so that's not something usually posted to the list.

But let's say it *is* earth shattering news. That means that it's so
unusual that it may not be typical of the product and warrants the
manufacturer's attention.

Or, it could mean that it is unusual for most harmonicas but highly typical of this particular one. Either way, it's good to let the manufacturer know. But, it's also good to let the rest of the world know as well. If this were a car, would you rather know about a possibly significant defect, or have it covered quietly by the manufacturer and never mentioned to lists on cars or in magazines? As a customer, I know which I prefer.

And, as I said, one harp is not a representative sampling. But, if people keep posting their experiences--all of them, without filtering (ie, both positive and negative)--then eventually conclusions might be drawn from that. If everything is dealt with hush-hush, well, then no conclusions could emerge--or worse, false conclusions.

Sure, you can say what you want when you want. But if this is such an
unusual occurrence, then the fair thing to do is talk to the
manufacturer first, then report both that and the result of the
exchange to the list.

I don't see how "fair" comes into it. It's not like there are pre- existing relationships here. Richard is effectively Joe Schmo--it's not like Suzuki made him a special, custom instrument. This is an off-the-shelf, stock model harp. For sale to anyone. As such, the manufacturer can't have any expectations of people coming to them with any and all problems. It would be nice from their standpoint, but not necessarily from the consumer's standpoint. This is massively different from the relationship I have with Richard Sleigh, for instance--but that's because both the product and the nature of that relationship are significantly different. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to point out something I didn't like about Richard's harps on-line (I'd probably tell him privately as well--and first, as that's a different relationship). Fortunately, there is nothing I dislike about Richard's harps. Not even the waiting list.

This is more along the lines of me buying a microwave, going to a forum on microwave cooking and noting that something was wrong with it (after a previously ecstatic review). Sure, it would be nice to contact the manufacturer (I'd be wise to anyway), but there is no reason to do so before or in leu of telling the forum. Indeed, that would be a bit dishonest. Again, I point out long term tests in automobile magazines: they do contact the manufacturer or dealer, but won't not mention a problem just because the publication date is before they can contact those people. That is the position Richard was taking, essentially, when he wrote his initial review and promised follow ups.

To me, fair is that Suzuki or their representatives can respond on this public forum if they wish--unedited even. What could be more fair than that?

Moreover, I am sure that if Richard decides to contact Suzuki or their US agents he will also post a follow up yet again--just as he wrote this time. And again, I thank him for being so active in this: few people bother to write a detailed review, and fewer still follow it up over time.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()   & Snuffy, too:)
`----'