Re: [Harp-L] reading things into the best

Chris Michalek wrote:

C'mon Guys, lay off Brad. He's done more for the harmonica without using a harmonica than most of you put together using your harmonicas.

And I said the article was an interesting read. Overall, I enjoyed it and found it enlightening about certain things. But, as a newspaper writer he above all should know that anything published will and should be criticized on its merits. I feel the hackneyed journalistic conceit of "the best" whatever it is might be effective, but especially in artistic circles demeans not only the object of the term but the writer and audience as well. It's a small criticism of an otherwise lengthy article, but a significant one and the one germane(sp) to this thread.

Jason is doing great things and he's one of the true original players that will be remembered forever. I don't think there is anybody on this list that can stake that claim.

Last I checked Peter Madcat Ruth, Richard Hunter, and Bill Barret(sp) (to give just three obvious examples) were all still on this list. The music I've heard from these four is, by just about any definition, as varied and innovative as anything Jason Ricci has done, as are their highly individualistic playing styles.

I have a feeling Chris is being provocative for the sake of such, and nothing wrong with that. But it can also make one look like a fool if the branch one is balancing upon breaks.

Unlike the rest of us, Jason and Brad have the ability to inspire thousands and you guys are tearing them apart and beating them down.

I really haven't seen anyone say anything particularly negative about Jason. Saying that either one doesn't think he's "the best" or even their favorite of the moment is not negative. If you want negative, well, I wonder how Rick Estrin or Kim Wilson would view your comments about them. I haven't gone over every post in this thread again, but the overall tenor has been that Jason might be great, but that calling him "the best" is idiotic for various reasons.

Steve Guyger et al. When I see those guys, they make me feel like I've heard it all before. When I see Jason, I can't wait to get home and practice. Jason knows how to move people and build a fire of inspiration in people.

A note about the dissed Guyger. I was at his first Buckeye (as was Chris). He played what is the single best diatonic show at a harmonica convention I've ever seen. I believe his guitarist couldn't be there to begin the set for some reason, so Guyger started off with a solo song (or two). He played self-accompanied, acoustic into a mic and with a softer volume than many blues players do. It captivated the audience, and the combination of acoustic intimacy, solo playing and reasonable volume really went over well with the traditional trio/chromatic crowd. It was one of the best examples I've ever seen of playing your music, while knowing how to tailor that to the crowd. When the guitarist did join, the atmosphere (and volume) remained and so did the overwhelming majority of the audience (not always the case for blues or diatonic, though I often feel that the trio/chrom players do better at listening to other genres than the blues/diatonic guys do--not all, and not always either way, of course).

One can say what one wants about innovation and all, but part of being a musician and an entertainer is knowing your audience-- frankly, I'd say that is a much more important part than being particularly innovative or amazing.

That is why Jason is the best. Shame on all of you that express any kind of disappointment in Brad Kava, he is what we all need, he is what this instrument needs.

I am glad he writes about harmonica, but I will criticize him no less than any other writer. If I and others didn't, then that would be a true sign of disrespect. Often US society today regards any form of criticism as negative, bashing or the like. In reality, reasoned criticism is the opposite: it is the ultimate sign of respect. It means that one takes the time to read, listen or otherwise understand what is being said and then responds to it in a way that is attempting to be constructive.

Winslow wrote:

"Many do consider Jason to be the best harp player out there. Brad was
reporting a fact."

Perhaps. But journalism isn't just reporting. It's also shaping. By reporting something as idiotic as the very concept that there may be a "best harmonica player", even for the effect of hyperbole, Brad helps to continue the inherently flawed concept.

"Was it somehow wrong to do so? No. It helps create a contrast between
the brilliance of the man and his reputation on one hand, and the hard
life he's living on the other, with the constant touring and lack of
commercial success."

That contrast could have been, and indeed was, made in several other ways, no less effective, IMO--such as the quotes from Bonfiglio and so forth.

Perhaps this seems to be a small thing to focus on, and it is. But, since the list focused on this aspect, then so be it. The concept of "the best" came up for whatever reason, and so it's worth discussing (and hopefully dismissing). As I said, I was disappointed he used that method--I am also fine if you aren't. Different people react differently. This was my reaction to that particular part of the article.

"Anyone who doesn't recognize the validity of this technique and the
essential truthfulness of using it needs to take a deep breath"

It works, but that doesn't make it something I believe is beneficial in any way shape or form. The most effective way of attaining a result is not always the best way.

"Did
Brad help or hurt the harmonica community? He helped. Anyone who has
done more than Brad to help the community may have a right to offer
constructive criticism privately. Anyone who hasn't might show a little
respect to a friend."

So, either go out and write for newspapers or similar or shut the fuck up? That attitude and idea doesn't even deserve a second of comment.

Yes, I did swear. If the listowner wants to punish me for it, so be it. I have never sworn before on this list, and hopefully never will again. In my opinion, the pompousness and arrogance of the above statement about who does and does not have the right to write to this list deserved a swear. I apologize to any I might have offended, but words exist for a reason, and no other phrase expresses my feeling on this nearly adequately.

PS, please no-one contact me offlist about any of this (excepting of course, list officials). This is not directed at anyone in particular, but rather my desire is to discuss what I write about on- list--that is why I belong to harp-l.

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () & Snuffy, too:) `----'