Re: [Harp-L] Most Amazing Harmonica Shows/not much harp content

Scott;
          You lucky dog! I've seen Muddy, & wish I could have seen him
a lot more, but Hopkins AND Wolf!! Love Lightnin', and Wolf is God (a
figure of speech; just in cas this offends anyone) as far as I'm
concerned.
But what really caught my eye was the reference to my favourite
hometown (Melbourne, Australia) boys Daddy Cool. When these guys started
out back in 1970, I was a hard bitten 50's rock'n'roll nut. I hated
contemporary bands and when someone told me I should see them, I went
along prepared to hate 'em. They knocked me out! and continued to do so
for the next few years they were around. Still the best Oz Rock band
ever (they were musicians, not just smarty-pants pop stars) I was lucky
enough in later years to work with three of the four members. I know
they were very unhappy with their first US tour (and not much happier
with the following ones either; they reckoned they relly 'blew it) So it
is really nice to see that you remembeerd them, and in a favourable
light too.
         By the way, all these guys are still working. The lead singer,
Ross Wilson, had some hits in the US in thew '80s with an act called
Mondo Rock.
         And to justify this post here, I'll just say that Wilson blows
a pretty fair harp too!
         I'll pass on your email to the lads from DC, who have just
recorded a comeback album and doing some shows again.
Cheers,
RD

>>> "Splash" <celtiac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 23/10/2006 9:45:52 >>>
This is an excellent thread.

As far as the blues... I can remember one amazing show and I can't
remember
when it was.  Mid '70's I think.. 1972 or 3 ???   at the Sportatorium
in
west Hollywood, Florida.

IAM going to go by memory entirely.  As everybody knows, if you can
remember
the 60s or 70s, you weren't doing it right... I confess my dame
bramage
still shows up in the most amuzing times... anyway, I digress...

The opening band was an Australian group caled Daddy Cool.  They were
good.
Got a cool groove going and they had a sax player who was the frontman.
No
harp.  Good groove, jazzy rock'n'roll stuff.  Everybody got off on them
OK.

Then Lightning Hopkins came out and sat on a chair.  I was pretty much
enthralled by what he was doing since I had been playin the blues for
couple of years but didn't really "get it" yet.  He must have been 90
years
old.  Or 100.  I know now what I witnessed that night and I am more
amazed
by my memories of that night now than I was then.  He was on top of
it...
played constrained and exact, very intense tone and precise notes.  It
was a
wake-up call for me because I was playing wild at the time.  I learned
to do
less with more from Lightning that night.  In fact it stayed with me
for
years how how did so much without seeming to do very much.  And the
tone!
The tone!  Did I mention the tone?

Next act - Howlin' Wolf.  Oh-Mi-Gawd!  I couldn't believe what I was
seeing,
and hearing. Triple XXX rated lyrics, wild on stage acrobatics. He was
throwing the microphone all around and shaking it like it was his
penis, and
threatening the ladies with his "tool" and everybody could tell, he
meant
it.  I think he was "on something."  <Har!>  I know I was. And all my
friends that I went there were "on something" as well.  Hey it was
them
days.  The 60's and 70's, remember?  If you can't quite remember,
that's OK.
Neither can I.

Then out came Muddy Waters.  What can you say about Muddy.  Loud and in
your
face.  We left in a daze, as much from the music as from everything
else.

I don't remember getting home that night.

It was the 70's.. I think.

PEACE
Scott
Believe in Magic!