***SPAM*** Re: [Harp-L] More Deifik on Practicing

> > I do agree that pure musical talent counts for alot.  But the desire to
> invent new music and to work hard at it is also a talent.
---I completely agree. In Jerry Coker's book "How to Practice Jazz," Coker
talks about the intense practice routines of Charlie Parker, John Coltrane
and others...according to Coker, Coltrane once spent 8 uninterupted hours
practicing nothing but variations on the C major scale. I read an
interview with Sonny Rollins a few years ago wherein he described his
practice routine; it involved daily meditation followed by 6-8 hours of
practice.
   My friends, if this is the  practicing that musicians possessing the
sort of "pure talent" that Coltrane, Parker and Rollins had, what do we
need to do to be great? Or at least as good as we can be?
WVa Bob