Re: Subject: Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Music and perception

On Nov 30, 2006, at 6:53 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

Responding to Smo-Joe's answer to mine:

Now Latin is my favorite, but too much coconut creme pie will also
make me queezy.

....That's interesting and made me think about my "favourite players" in any genre. The only one I could come up with whose music I have and do listen to non-stop (10 CD's worth) for hours without getting bored, was Peter White. It's nothing to do with harmonica, but everything to do with how I hear melody and the sax players he utilizes. I love to try to emulate them...or even copy his guitar riffs (on my chromatic) ...as if I ever could. But I love the tone of his guitar. And it just isn't important at all to me if a single other person approves of or likes his music. :)

My favorite musicians weren't 'initially' harmonica players. Mostly cornet, trumpet, flute, guitar, B3. I'm not even that fond of sax players. Most of them are too busy.

...Oh I dig the Komodo Dragon comparison! Should use that on JR's website <G>

Most people think 'monster' player. Well, you don't get mush more monster than a dragon.

"Steevie is a 'spazz'

..I know you've used that description before...and I do hear some of that occasionally in his playing...but I don't hear it all THAT "choppy and jerky"....it's more that he's creating the "beat" IMO and to my ears he's drumming and strumming with his hands, mouth and button (in his mind) which would result in that sound we hear. Don't know if that makes sense to anyone else.

You hit it on the head. That's exactly what he is doing. He is being more than a single facet of the piece. He is being several.

....Isn't that strange...while I respect Tony Bennett's longevity, and can appreciate him to a degree...I've never been a huge fan.

Worked with a girl down here. Karen Christopher. Pretty 60 year old blonde. Voice like a purple Martin. She was once his girl friend. Worked with him for a while back in the late 50s, early 60s. I don't understand the attraction. I didn't have eyes for it. I mean, I couldn't see it. Speaking of not seeing things, I think Mr. Judkins has less to distract him and actually 'feels' the music. OOpppps, I forgot, I'm not allowed to use those types of expletives when describing harmonica.

Now THAT I would like to hear....if only for the interest factor.

I gave it to my one of the sax players 'Popcorn Bujew Goldberg' (Dr. Steve Kaplan)

"I would have never let that cut out of the studio. But then, that's MY
opinion".

.....that makes sense, and I wonder why anyone did allow it into production?

I haven't the foggiest. Maybe they WANTED it to seem impromptu. Then Tony says 'There's only 1 Steevie Wonder'. Duuuuuh, yeah, I guess so. It's a stage name, and I don't think very common either.

..goes without saying. I'm sure every single musician, every single singer has done exactly the same thing in AND out of the studio. Flubs are universal. Except those mistakes aren't usually saved for posterity...or allowed to be issued on CD's.

.....that's an impressive list. I've seen none of those people...except on videos. You've sure been around. :)

Only a few out of several dozen. I'm not real familiar with the west coast players (of whom there are a plethora of good ones). I've heard maybe a dozen.

.....Actually that WAS my point. I didn't mean that Robert's stature would "define" who can play or not...simply that it IS his incredibly honed teacher's 'ear' for the note and sound ....and that HE was so impressed by Stevie.....was certainly nice to find out, especially since I previously believed that Robert's taste was mostly classical in nature.

'Le Robt' is quite diversified. After all, he had to make a living BEFORE he was a star. And that included playing what was required at the time. It's like that old show business jag. You go in and say you're a harmonica player. They tell you. we don't need one of those, but we could use a comic MC. Oh, says you, I do jokes and schtick. Then another time they need a vocalist. Oh, says you, I sing. See, you had to be a SHOW man, not a musician. Musicians don't make crabs except for the top 1% Whereas a showman/woman has better odds.

"You're giving me WAY too much credit, and I don't understand why you would think my playing was anything more than a feeble attempt at tossing out a few notes."

.....I have ears, don't I? And according to you, I play chromatic not too badly.

"I'm an old man"

.....rotflmNYao

smo-joe

.....<G> you just made my entire point.....

Elizabeth