Subject: Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Music and perception

Responding to Smo-Joe's answer to mine:

"On Nov 28, 2006, at 12:46 AM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote
> ..  Excellent point, Smo-Joe....Like you, that is in my opinion,
> comparing apples to oranges.  Poor Toots gets dragged out  for every
> chromatic argument, yet I've seen Randy Singer  more than hold HIS
> own in a session with Toots...Randy was  fabulous...played "Toots"
> almost better than "Toots"  did.

Paul Farmer said it best the other day. To paraphrase: *I  prefer to
listen to some of the 'lesser' players* (notice  please..not in
quotes). There are a few players who don't have  the rep of a Steevie
or a Toots, or a Levy, etc, and while  hurting peoples feelings is not
high on my list of entertainment  values, I am compelled to agree and
add that there are a few  people who I can listen to all day. Randolph
would be one of  them. Will Galison is another. Even Hendrik (whose
CDs I have  ALL of and is, incidentely my favorite chromo player,
wears on  me after a while merely because of his PAST preponderance of
Latin material.

Now Latin is my favorite, but too much coconut  creme pie will also
make me queezy.

....That's interesting and made me think about my "favourite players"  in any
genre.  The only one I could come up with whose music I  have and do listen
to non-stop (10 CD's worth) for hours without getting  bored, was Peter White.
It's nothing to do with harmonica, but  everything to do with how I hear
melody and the sax players he  utilizes.  I love to try to emulate them...or even
copy his guitar  riffs (on my chromatic) ...as if I ever could.  But I love
the tone  of his guitar.  And it just isn't important at all to me if a single
other person approves of or likes his music.   :)

>   So that particular argument is gone for  me.  NO ONE holds Jason
> Ricci in higher esteem than I  do.  So I find anyone using him in an
> argument about  Stevie just a teeny bit silly.

"Not even apples and oranges. More  like apples and Komodo Dragons."

...Oh I dig the Komodo Dragon comparison!  Should use that on  JR's website
<G>

"Steevie is a 'spazz' and unless you yourself are a spazz, you  will
NEVER match his style. He is choppy and jerky. But that's  what he
does best and the whole package comes off as quite nice  (IMO) :) "

..I know you've used that description before...and I do hear some of  that
occasionally in his playing...but I don't hear it all THAT  "choppy and
jerky"....it's more that he's creating the "beat" IMO   and to my ears he's drumming
and strumming with his hands, mouth and  button (in his mind) which would
result in that sound we  hear.  Don't know if that makes sense to anyone else.

 "I  had a CD with Tony Bennett doing a raft of duets with  a bunch of
other 'name' entertainers. I had to give it away  because I don't like
Bennett's nasal lisp."

....Isn't that strange...while I respect Tony Bennett's longevity,  and can
appreciate him to a degree...I've never been a huge fan.

 "On the CD, he does a duet with Steevie called
'Every  Day I have The Blues'. Steevie stalls, stammers, and trips
over  his tongue for about 4 bars attempting to start the tune."

Now THAT I would like to hear....if only for the interest  factor.

 "I  would have never let that cut out of the studio. But  then, that's MY
opinion".

.....that makes sense, and I wonder why anyone did allow it into  production?

"Proves that NO one is a God."

..goes without saying.  I'm sure every single musician, every  single singer
has done exactly the same thing in AND out of the  studio. Flubs are
universal.  Except those mistakes aren't  usually saved for posterity...or allowed to
be issued on CD's.

"On the subject of players: I opine players by how many times  I have
heard them and how many times they actually sounded like  they were
trying to do what they were supposed to be doing,  Namely..playing
harp. A few interesting observations on just a  few of the people I
have seen
Name         decent job vs number of times  seen
batting average

James  Cotton             2      /
3              667
Jr. Wells       1     /
3              333
Rice Miller       2    /
2                1000
Little Walter         1    /
3                  333
Wilhelmina Mae Thornton  1     /
1                1000
Lazy Lester                    &    2   /
2     1000
Sonny Terry               3   /
3      1000
Big  Walter                   not seen
Toots               2   /
3                    667
conclusion? .... Use your own  imagination"

.....that's an impressive list.  I've seen none of those  people...except on
videos.  You've sure been around.  :)

>  When I hear someone of the level of a Robert  Bonfiglio marvelling
> at the talent of Stevie Wonder during  his own Grand  Canyon
> Seminar.....then I discount any  players not of the caliber of
> Bonfiglio having anything to  say about Stevie's chops.

"Some people would disagree and say that  it doesn't take someone of
the stature like the 'Bon Vivant' to  define who can play and who
can't. After all, people have ears.  But 'I' WOULD agree with you
inasmuch as someone like Robt. will  NOT be jaded nor prejudiced and
will listen to the individual  performer with a teachers ear totally
disregarding any other  impetus other than the piece and how it's
being rendered."

.....Actually that WAS my point.  I didn't mean that Robert's  stature would
"define" who can play or not...simply that it IS his  incredibly honed
teacher's 'ear' for the note and sound ....and that  HE was so impressed by
Stevie.....was certainly nice to find out,  especially since I previously believed that
Robert's taste was mostly  classical in nature.

> I was delighted that his tastes were so  much in sync with mine
> (even to how much he was moved by  Jason's playing at SPAH in
> Denver)...not that I've ever  needed anyone else's opinion to back
> up my own, but it just  proves my contention that Stevie Wonder is
> at a harmonic  level some people just don't seem to have the ability
> to  understand.
>
> "Each and every time I have said anything  about Steveland Morris
> Judkins, I have taken heat, so I don't talk  about him any more."
>
> "I once made a statement and was  barraged and reminded that someone
> 'else' had spent "More time  than anyone" studying Steevie and his
> works."
>
>  Someone I know we both respect highly?

"Yes, true, but it still  hurt my feelings."

.....to let people on a list of this kind hurt your feelings proves  your
humanity...but gives them too much power.  You're far better  than those who
would seek to demean you.

> He passed most of the Free World by musically!   I keep telling you
> how much I like your playing...and style  of playing.  And they
> don't know your background the  way I do now. Maybe that's why I
> like Stevie's chromatic so  much?...or like YOUR playing so
> much....one or the  other.  I'll have to ponder on that some.  :)

(...still pondering)...

"You're giving me WAY too much credit,  and I don't understand why you
would think my playing was  anything more than a feeble attempt at
tossing out a few  notes."

.....I have ears, don't I?  And according to you, I play  chromatic not too
badly.

"I'm an old man"

.....rotflmNYao

"and smoking has taken it's  toll. Lately, I get very tired. On  the other
hand, anyone who heard  me do 'Alfie' at Buckeye 2005   K N O W S what I can do."

smo-joe"

.....<G>  you just made my entire point.....

Elizabeth