Re: [Harp-L] re: Diatonic-sounding chromatic?

First of all harmonica fans, chromatics and diatonic are tuned differently.
No, this is not the note layout difference between a Marine Band layout and a
solo tuned button chromatic.

They also have different tunings for some of the same reeds.

These two things together contribute to the different "sound" or timbre.
Valves don't have anything to do with the sound except by reducing air leaks -- a
leaky harmonica DOES sound different from a better sealed one.

(Some people are under the misapprehension that they can turn their button
solo tuned chromatic into a blues harp by simply removing the valves/windsavers.
Not true. This addresses only one problem of the bending equation:
interaction of blow-draw reeds on draw bends. It doesn't rearrange the note layout
needed.)

Almost all chromatics are solo tuned. Exceptions include Hohner's   Koch
(based on the Marine Band note layout: a C and C# harmonica sandwich WITHOUT
valves) and the Hohner Slide Harp which is identical except it has valves on the
draw notes. Valves and windsavers are the same thing; they merely reduce the air
leakage. Hence, the Koch is a really leaky harmonica. The Slide Harp which is
half-valved, does not leak as much.

Both of these diatonic harmonicas allow bending like on the standard 10-hole
diatonic. Hering makes a 10-hole that is fully valved. It does not bend like a
diatonic; it bends like a chromatic.

The Slide Harp and Hering allow blow bending on the first six (or low holes)
just like every solo tuned chromatic with valves/windsavers does.

In addition to the note layouts, diatonics and chromatics "sound" different
between they are tuned differently. The blues harp, Marine Band style
harmonicas are generally "just" tuned, which means they are tuned in fifths, octaves
(or something like that) and thus make good chords.

Chromatics are tuned like pianos in an equal or tempered or compromise tuning
that sounds good in all keys.

Some people don't consider these diatonic-layout (Richter tuned) real
chromatics because even though they have a button to raise the pitches a half-step,
they still follow the Richter (blues harp) note pattern. But as I recall, the
original chromatic harmonica followed the design of the Richter tuned chromatic
(like the Koch and Slide Harp).