RE: Sp20 reedplates was Re: [Harp-L] RE: Hohner MS

Derek Lark wrote:

Hi

I have gone back to MS Blues Harps, got sick of the Special 20's failing and
not being able to buy replacement reed plates (and the replacement parts
from Europe plus postage in Australian Dollars are totally unrealistic).

I haven't found a significant difference in longevity between MS and Special 20 reeds - neither comes near Lee Oskars in that regard but I find both to be acceptable now that I've learned to be a bit more gentle when I play. I did find the low key MS plates to be problematic but I haven't tried them again for years, whereas SP20 low keys were fine. Also, in response to previous comments, I find MS harps to be nice and responsive once I have the gapping right for my needs. I like them and have a few but they come second in my armoury after LOs (because they're bomb-proof and therefore economical) and SP20s (nice to play, very responsive and available in low D!).

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm