RE: [Harp-L] Seydel low low F

From: fjm <mktspot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I ordered mine online and received it in about a week. Played it a day or so and then retuned some of the notes. I've lived to regret it, one of the notes I touched up is now balky to start to sound. The lower 3 reeds are all valved which makes it clicky to play. I've got a low A that I retuned myself from a couple of the lowest available Lee Oskar plates. I think I like it better but then again it's not as low as the low low F. Interesting valve material used on the Seydel. The harmonica comes in a paperboard box with a polishing cloth and a leatherette pouch to store the harmonica. I'm thinking this is kind of a work in progress, meaning I'll have to go back inside this harmonica and try and get it to where I like it. They aren't cheap but neither are they out of line expensive.
fjm

I was thinking of getting a Seydel low C, but I noticed the steep price difference between it and the more regular-pitched harps. Then I dug out an ancient "Echo Vamper" that someone gave me and put some newer (non-rusty!) covers on it, and, with a bit of retuning and tweaking here and there (and a lot of sterilisation ;-) ), it's made a damn good low C harp. That would be equivalent to a Hohner 364 in C. It is big and fat in the mouth but it has a good, loud, raunchy sound and it fits the bill for me for my occasional low C needs. Cheap to buy, too!

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm