Re: [Harp-L] J. Geils

Richard Hunter writes:

From conversations with Pierre Beauregard, a Boston player who spent a
lot of time with Magic Dick in the 70s and 80s, I'm pretty sure that
Magic Dick did a lot of tongue blocking. Which technique he used at any
given point in any recording is something I don't know.

And I've always heard Whammer Jammer talked about as being tongue blocked but now I'm not so sure. You certainly could play it all using pucker. There aren't any splits or octaves or corner switches in it. The reason I wonder is this particular recording was very influential for a generation of harmonica players. If it's tongue blocked then it's amongst the most disciplined examples I've ever heard. None of the characteristic techniques are employed. Very precise. I have never spent any time listening to the first J. Geils recording, I guess I'll have to hunt it down and give it a listen. fjm