[Harp-L] Helping other harp players

  Not exactly a provocative discussion topic, but something I wanted to share

  This week, I met a less experienced harp player at a jam who asked to use my amp.  I allowed him, because he was very polite.  When he was getting ready to play, I saw that he did not know which key to play in.  There was also no singer.

  My harp player ego, initially chimed in my head and said,  "oh great, another hack...let's see how bad this will be..."  Something made me stop.  Maybe it was putting myself in his shoes and remembering all the jam guys who watched me struggle without helping.  Maybe it was remembering the guys who DID help me out.

  I decided that it was in everyone's best interest if I helped.

  I stepped in to sing, made sure he was in the right key, lead the band, gave him lots of room to play.  We  both had a fun "two harps, man what a sound" time.  So much so, that we did it again the next night.

  Many of you have had the tools/experience to behave in this nurturing way for years.  It's new to me. I am glad I have some tools available to support other harp players.  I'm starting to feel some of what Jason Ricci is talking about (listen to Snowflakes and Horses a few times )    Just wanted to share it as a feel good story.

  Dan G.

  p.s. come to CT.  I've done as many as 4 harps at a jam without a cluster....  Harp players UNITE!

  pps
  Dear List,

  I'm sorry if I ruffled any feathers in the past couple of days.  In retrospect, it looks like the breathing topic turned into a nice discussion from both sides (harp helps breathing, and breathing helps harp)