Re: [Harp-L] Hohner CX-12 vs 270

On Jun 29, 2006, at 6:15 PM, Snaruhn@xxxxxxx wrote:

Once Smokey-Joe mentioned the at the straight harps the air is concentrated like at pipes. Absolutely, and further advantages are the shorter slide way and above all the diminished effect of the air holes when shifting the slide which even can be heard at the higher notes of a crossed chrom brand.

In order to prevent a possible misunderstanding, the mere reed position
isn´t the problem but the bigger mpc holes of straight chroms.

Well, in former years I changed both the crossed reed tuning and the
mpc holes.

Buon Giorno Seigfried. Problem with these mouthpieces and the crossed tuning. I don't know what engineers work on this stuff, but it involves 'fluid mechanics'. Air is a fluid (just like water). Any plumber knows that changing the size, shape, angle of pipes will dramatically affect flow rates. Squeezing a 3/4" (19mm) pipe down to 1/2" (12.7mm) will increase the vorticees within the flow.

The original idea of cross tuning was to INCREASE the size of the inlet annulus' of the individual air passages. I don't think that was necessary and straight tuning with SMALLER openings will give every bit as much air flow in the long run because what air IS inserted will be compressed, speed up, and yield sufficient quantities of presssure to work these instruments. A diatonic has SMALLER openings than a chromo and yet can blast just as loudly (if not moreso)

Any improvement in chromos should have been concentrated on the REEDS and the way they chop the air column that we DO have.

smokey joe & the Cafe s