[Harp-L] Hohner CX-12 vs 270

Thema:  Fwd: [Harp-L] Eb Chromatics - Hohner CX-12 vs 270

Winslow wrote:

< What's your experience with the CX-12 and the 270 thus far? If you
< have a preference for one over the other, I'd be inclined to let that
< guide your choice. Each has its strong and weak points, each its
< boosterrs and its detractors.>

Absolutely, and that goes also to the ridiculous disscussion between
pure blues harpers and chromaticists.

Concerning the CX 12 I thought I´d all said in my "CX 12 story" (s. archives)
but actually I´m busy to correct a weak point of this most innovative
chromatic
model I have mentioned on harp-L too.

As long-subscribed listlers do know I´ve developed a brass shell in the shape

of the CX 12 fitting to chromatics with 3 or 4 octaves and diatonics as well,
not at least for the purpose to prevent the damage of the brittle plastic
covers
of the original CX .

Well, everybody would suppose that I myself would play my own customized
CX models. That was so in the beginning but recently my curious "son"
Harpie caught me that I exclusively play the black plastic originals and I
don´t know why. Maybe they are real lightweights compared to my brass
monsters. Anyway, 4 black CX 12s are always in the starting holes.

However, I should mention that all my black CXs have the thicker
chrome-plated reedplates thanks to an assembling mistake in the factory.
The plates of one of these CX 12s I changed into the straight reed position
I consider to be more advantageous than the actual crossed position. But
the slide of this exemplar got a little sticky and because my lots of other
CX 12 and let it rest and only played on the straight "vacuum cleaners".

Now comes the point. My actual favorite is "The girl from Ipanema" and
one day while just playing Stan Getz´ version I had the certain feeling that
my black crossed CX 12s needed a lot of air though I´d customized them
to be absolutely tight. Then, it came into my mind to reactivate my
straight CX 12 to have a comparison.

Yup, it was as I always had asserted. The big holes of the crossed
position can by far not compete with the smaller holes of the straight
position.

Once Smokey-Joe mentioned the at the straight harps the air is
concentrated like at pipes. Absolutely, and further advantages are
the shorter slide way and above all the diminished effect of the air
holes when shifting the slide which even can be heard at the higher
notes of a crossed chrom brand.

In order to prevent a possible misunderstanding, the mere reed position
isn´t the problem but the bigger mpc holes of straight chroms.

Well, in former years I changed both the crossed reed tuning and the
mpc holes.

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jim Hanks <jhanks@...> wrote:

Hey all,

Thinking about trying an Eb chromatic and it would seem Hohner is the
only maker (not counting customizers.) They offer an Eb chromatic as a
CX-12 or 270 Super Chromonica. Anybody tried either that can comment?
Know of any sound samples?

>From comments at coast2coastmusic.com, the CX-12 tenor gets mostly good
reviews, so I imagine the Eb would be very similar.  The 270 also gets
good reviews but they're all for the standard C I think.

Jim

--- End forwarded message ---