[Harp-L] Re: More easy tunes

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Garry Hodgson
<garry@...> wrote:

> Mudharp@... wrote:
>
> > The Flintstones theme can be played in 1st or 2nd
position and  a riot to
> > quote in solos or play the whole thing just for
the fun of  it.

> i've heard jason throw this in during solos
sometimes.  don't recall
> on which song, but i've heard it several times.  a
few bars only, just
> enough to recognize it, then he moves on.

blues and jazz players do this kind of thing pretty
often. how well it's done can range from bad (as in,
"just for the heck of it") to clever. a couple of my
favorite instances of clever usage of a "quote" are
from Ryan Hartt & the Blue Hearts first album. in one,
a guitarist quotes the beginning of the chorus of
"Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better". just enough so
you know exaclty what it is and no more - in fact,
pretty much just the words in the title (i think
that's the title) and then he gracefully exits with a
bluesy descending riff that sounds like the next line
(i can do anything better...) but isn't. Ryan has a
similar moment in another tune, where he quotes, if i
recall correctly, the theme to "The Odd Couple", but i
don't have the music on hand so i can't be sure.

  --Jp