Re: [Harp-L] (tone) the TB Police should give it a rest

From: "Rick In Davis" <rickindavis@xxxxxxxxx>
 Tone in any wind instrument is generated by a resonant column of
 air.  The most important element of good tone in harmonica playing
 is breathing from your diaphragm and allowing the column of
 air - all the way from your gut and lungs through your throat,
 mouth and even nasal cavity - to vibrate and resonate.
 If that column is pinched your tone will suffer.  But the physics
 of good tone don't change one iota if your tongue is
 touching the harp or not.

I've found that my ability to bend notes by manipulating the cavity in my mouth (tongue movement, jaw drop, etc.) ends on low notes and I must make it happen in the throat or even lower in that column. I'm choking the column of air to get the bend, and tone does change (suffer). So, how do you do those low bends without messing up your tone?

Peace and music,
Dave