Re: [Harp-L] ? about Suzuki Promasters

On 21.07.2006 19:22, Paul LaBrier wrote:
On 7/21/06, Fernando Bresslau <bresslau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

does Hohner let the reed plates protrude past the comb and covers by
design?  My lips much prefer harmonicas with recessed reeed plates.
Is there a reason?
Hi Paul, I work for Hohner in Trossingen at the Product Management, yes.

Surely there are reasons.

1) Historical. The first harmonicas where sandwich type, like the Marine Band.

2) Technical. Once the harmonicas is of the sadwich type, it is very easy to make a body out of a flat piece of wood or out of slices of a bigger piece which has had the fingers carved. By then, it is just logical that the plate should protude, and not the fingers. The plates are rounded, while the fingers might hurt the lips if they protude. By making the plates wider than the body you also gave some space for the wooden body to swell a little, which is a problem with untreated wooden combs.

3) Technical 2. You need to have material where to cut the groove where the covers get in touch with the reedplates. These grooves are quite important for avoiding leakage between covers and plates, besides keeping the covers in place.

3) Performance. Sandwich type harmonicas are preferred by many players who feel a consistent difference in response between ST harmonicas and harmonicas with recessed reedplates. Marine Bands, Golden Melodies and Meisterklasse are more often customised for overbends than SP20s.

As soon as injection molding became available and cost efficient, Hohner developed the SP20, AFAIK, the firs harmonica with recessed reedplates. By then, the other models were already very popular, and it would not make sense to take them out of the market. Now players have the choice to choose between the one or the other type.

I myself prefer sandwich type harmonicas, my model of choice at the moment being the Marine Band Deluxe. But I also play GMs, SP20s and an assortment of MS harmonicas. Most players play both styles, and aren't bothered by the protruding reedplates, as long as the plate edges are correctly shaped, rounded and without sharp edges.

Cheers,
Fernando