From: Will Vogtman [mailto:will_vogtman@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2006 12:03 AM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Style, The Millers, Popper, Entertainment, Ramblings

Greetings.

  I am currently re-examining what and how I play.  Some of my most
technical skills are entertaining only to me and a few other harp geeks.
Some of my most automatic skills cause the audience (and sometimes other
band members) to sit up and take notice--applaud, yell, etc. So, who do I
please first?  I am currently on a quest to create a balanced, musical
response to this question.

  As for John Popper, I really don't want to start a thread on him again.
He was/is bashed on this list to no end.  His influence on Mr. Miller is
quite obvious.

  Can Mr. Miller play in other styles?  Does he TB and/or OB?

  The answers to these questions are not relevant in this situation.  On
"America's Got Talent,"  he has one job--create a performance that SOUNDS
impressive and memorable to the general public.  In this task, he has made a
wise choice of style--be it accidental or intentional.

  It comes down to the audience.  If the audience is me when I'm playing,
the difficulty level goes up and the complexity of the melody goes down.  If
the audience is a group of harp players, I am more conscious of melody, but
I do try to throw in a few harp geek "wows."  If I'm playing for the general
public, melody and entertainment value are foremost on my mind.

  It doesn't always work that way, but I try to think this way.

  I hope to be good enough one day to seamlessly merge the three (a la
Ricci).

  Bottom line . . . .

  Entertainment value and musical complexity/validity do not always
correlate.  The good musicians can exist in either realm.  Great musicians
can co-exist in both realms.  Neither realm is more important than the
other.

  Will