Re: [Harp-L] The New Butterfield Thread

 > I am so much more into Butterfield as a sideman than I am into the PBBB.
> Better Days is cool and innovative, but I think PB brought so much to the
> tablle in sideman situations.

Hmmm...I hadn't exactly thought of it that way, but you may be onto something.  Prior to my foray into the blues, I pretty much thought of the harp as a "fill" instrument, useful for solos, but not much else. (Be nice, I'm learning!!!)  However, both Portnoy and Butterfield, on their instructional CD's, emphasize the importance of rhythm/accompaniment playing.  I also read somewhere else--or maybe it was in a different thread here--that a lot of professionals spend a significant amount of time practicing nothing but rhythm.  Again, being new, I take that kind of advice to heart.  Especially since my own harp ambitions tend to be more side- than frontman oriented.

> Butter up yer PUCKER y'all!

It's widely reported that Butterfield was more a puckerer than a tonguer.  I started as a puckerer myself, months before I ever heard of Paul Butterfield, so it's nice to know I got at least part of the equation right!  (Though I am working diligently on tongue blocking, thanks to Portnoy.)

On the other hand, it's also said that he was an left-handed, upside down player, which to me sounds like total insanity...I think I'll just keep the numbers where I can see 'em.