Re: [Harp-L] OB's/Intonation

Whoa,whoa, whoa, wait a second. Where in Cletus's post do you see chromatic vs diatonic? Not one reply has addressed the (exception RH) why the emperor has no clothes line is applicable. It's the 500 pound gorilla sitting in the living room that everyone refuses to acknowledge. Diatonic harmonica players do talk about intonation issues, the 3 and 2 draw bends in particular. When you're playing with other instruments pitch does matter. To pretend it doesn't if you're in the groove is absurd. Arguing that it's ok to play flat because slurred notes are hip is apples and oranges at its best. Slurred notes and bends that shift pitch are hip but not at all the same as not playing to pitch. I'm really curious as to what diatonic players working towards the goal of true chromaticity on a 10 hole actually think about the intonation issue. Is there denial that it even exists? It's a legitimate question and answering gee trumpet and upright bass players struggle too is not an answer.

Regarding the thought that this is a devisive issue, how so? Talking about technique and issues regarding techniques should never be a difficult issue in a forum of musicians sharing with one another their thoughts regarding the shared passion of harmonica playing. The issue of intonation isn't subjective at all. Where it becomes subjective is when people share the decisions and compromises they've made in the pursuit of playing music. I'm really curious as to why people make these expressive compromises and I don't mean in any particular direction. I play using chords and octaves, I use a tuning that skews in favour of that scheme. It's a compromise. This subject has tremendous potential and there have already been some very intriguing posts, I'd really hate to see an opportunity like this squandered but it is ours to squander. fjm