Re: [Harp-L] minor keys

Unfortunately, harps are more than twice that price here. Admittedly my music belongs to just one genre. Lots of people have asked me about the Lee Oskar minor key harps for Irish music, and the response is that you simply don't need them in almost all cases as the tunes are modal rather than minor. I was implying that you check that you really need them for the tunes you have in mind before splashing out. I don't do chording in my tunes. On my CD, apart from one tremolo tune I play just a G harp or a low D. Among the tune selection there's a B Aeolian, an E Dorian (low D harp), an E Aeolian and an A Dorian (G harp). I don't usually go around calling them modal as the guitar chaps regard them as minor tunes for their nefarious purposes. Not one of these tunes would come out any better on a minor harp and there's no bending to get notes. In addition there are five tunes in A Mixolydian, all played on the low D. One of my favourite "A minor" tunes is Carolan's Welcome, and a C harp is far and away the best option. All I was saying was check out that you haven't already got the right tool before spending yer dosh. Every other harp player may need a minor harp in his or her kit, but not me!

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm

Steve Shaw wrote:
<I'd try out the tunes on my G harp or C harp before splashing out on a
<minor
<key harp.  Am would be 3rd position on the G harp or 4th position on
<the C.
<As long as the notes you need are either there already or gettable why
<spend
<money!

I respectfully beg to differ.  Natural Minor harps have a beautiful
sound all their own.  The chording is amazing, and IMPOSSIBLE to do on a
standard harp.  The single notes have deeper bends in certain places,
like the draw 2 and 5 reeds, than a standard harp too.

Granted that buying any harp you don't already own costs money.  It's
about $20, give or take, for a Natural Minor harp; that's not a lot of
money to pay for something that can really change your sound.  EVERY
harp player should have a Natural Minor or two in his or her kit.  Play
it just like you play the harps you already own, and prepare to be
amazed at what comes out.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com