Re: Subject: [Harp-L] RE: bending using tongue-block (AKA shut up already, Dennis!)

    Hi Elizabeth,

  E:
  <<...little things like tongue-lifts, or pull-offs (where the player will TB a note & slightly pull off his tongue so you hear a chord)...and other similar nuances involving tongueing techniques."........
    L:
  These are indeed indicators for TB, but not for TB-bending holes 1-3.
  I simply wondered if there are any clues that I've overheard all these years.
  The only thing I can think of, but that would be quite subjective, is a "full" tone.

E:
  <<my next point which I believe you've overlooked ...(when I mentioned "discussion" as compared to wanting to be taught on the list)

  L:
  People have learned things from one another continuously on this list. Even the pro's pick up little things here and there.
  I have taken as well as given, just like most of us here.

  E:
  ...in that if I decide I want to now learn TB'ing and OB'ing I will sign up to be taught (and pay for the lessons of course) from someone who earns their living providing this information.

  L:
  Good for you; to each his/her own.
  I'm self taught 100 percent, which is the hard way, especially when you realize in the days I started off there weren't any books or other methods.
  The last couple of years I have learned a lot about customizing and such from other people on the many forums I'm on.
  Most of that is for free like the rise of the sun, but I have also payed several of them for professional services.
  I don't believe though that I have to account to you for where I spend my money, or what my current financial state is.

  E:
  Dennis is one such teacher.  He does have on-line classes...were you aware of that?

  L:
  Yes.
  If I had a computer connection that allowed me to do that, I could consider that option.

  E:
  << But since he is so respected I wonder why you would not be more inclined to accept his word for what he (with his highly sensitive ear and training in this field) hears

  L:
  If pro-player X tells you Marine Band is the only good harp for blues, and pro-player Y says Special 20, watcha gonna do?
  Howard Levy might say TB's and OB's don't go together well, whereas a few other pro's claim the opposite.
  It is my experience to best not take anyone's word for anything, but test it with my own experience if possible. Now don't go around saying I said Dennis is a liar; I didn't.
  I'm quite a respectable chap myself BTW :-)

  E:
  ....compared to your own admittedly lesser expertise in knowing which of the old masters TB'd or not?

  L:
  Again, only in the field of bent holes 1-3.
  Furthermore, there are pro's here on list who openly claimed that in many cases there's reason for doubt; some of these pro's even wrote transcription-books with classics.
  Remember the Juke-lick 3-6 thread? That's another example.

  E:
  <<I've learned a lot from this list.  Bending, for instance.  << I suppose my thoughts are that when it gets into complicated issues I don't expect teachers to divulge all of their teaching techniques in an open forum like this

  L:
  I learned to bend my first notes in 1969, so I guess you can understand there are a few things harmonica related that you may find complicated, that I don't even think about anymore.
  Also, anyone who's openly on this list I do not consider as a teacher per sé (in this context).
  Think of me as arrogant, but I see Dennis as a colleague.

  still L:
  <<I do practise about six days a week for at least an hour per day.

  E:
  .....Really?  I practice more than that.

  L:
  Good for you!

  E:
  << But after reading Robert Bonfiglio's descriptions of the vast number of hours he spent perfecting....I've realized I will never have the sort of dedication the "real" musicians have.

  L:
  What do you mean? Are only people who play classical music "real" musicians?

  E:
  Which brings me to......
  <<and if one were to pay any attention at all to those who are the real musicians here...
  L: Of which I consider myself one!

  E:
  .....well, aren't we all?

  L:
  I can only speak for myself.

  E:
  But I'm talking about those who are Professionals out in the world earning their respective livings playing/teaching harmonica.

  L:
  Been there, done that, to put it bluntly!
  I'm an ex-pro, so I don't feel awkward around anyone here.

  E:
  <<.... you still wanted Dennis to provide you with "proof" of his statements.

  L:
  Merely asking for an "example" if he knew anything from the top of his head, not "proof".

  E:
  ...BTW Ludo, I do pay attention to who writes what and yes, I'm quite aware of Dennis adding that to the heading in his response to you.

  L:
  Just wanted to be sure, since you were obviously under the impression that I had a lack of respect for the man.

  E:
  You did throw in another "extra" comment to me about mileage varying.  You're right...as does the quality of one's "ear".

  L:
  I hope that's not meant in a disrespectfull way?
  BTW, isn't it time you let me practise some now, and let Dennis himself get back to me next week in the way he finds appropiate?
  You're doing a lot of talking in someone elses name, if you don't mind me saying so.

  Ludo

Save time, find those important emails with search capabilities for scanning your inbox and folders. Get Yahoo! Mail