[Harp-L] RE: what makes a mic prone to feedback?

In my experience, I believe there are only a few factors. One is sensitivity of the mic - the mic that puts out more signal than another at a low level will feedback more. Another is resonance - some mics live in housings where the back side creates a resonant chamber. I found this out when the screw fell out of a little hole on the back side of my 520D - and I always thought it was sealed well enough that the back side didn't have much effect - but with that hole opened it was definitely worse than with it sealed, although there is another tiny hole that doesn't seem to have much effect. Finally, phase makes a difference. By phase I mean whether the amp's speaker moves out when the mic's diaphragm moves in, or vice versa. I installed a phase-switch switch in one of my amps (it reverse the polarity at the speaker) - and I was surprised at the difference in feedback. Either position will feed back, but at different frequencies and at different levels. If you ever play behind your amp and find it feeds back less, consider switching the phase.

But the most important factor is simply the output level - some mics are much hotter than others. Of course if you do NOT adjust volume at the amp, the hotter mic will generate a louder sound, perhaps enough to create feedback. Many folks blame this on the mic - but if you adjust the volume so that you got the same loudness for two different mics, you'll probably find they aren't very different.