Re: [Harp-L] High and Low Pitched Harp Keys

On 2/15/06, Jonathan Metts <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On standard diatonics and really any kind of harp, there seems to be a
> hierarchy of pitch related to the harp keys, and I've never understood it.
> Can you figure it out from the Circle of 5ths, or do you just have to know
> it?  For instance, my D harp is lower than my C harp, and my A harp is even
> lower, but if you go in the opposite direction on the Circle of 5ths,
> towards Bb, that harp key seems to be lower than C as well.  It's rather
> confusing for a beginner theorist like me who doesn't have all 12 keys yet
> (and I'm in no rush).  If there is a standard low-to-high pitch chart for
> harp keys, could someone please share it?
>
> Jonathan Metts

Hi Jonathan, it is a simple matter, and does not relate to the circle
of fifths as much as it relates with the chromatic scale.

There are 3 types of harmonica keys:

1) normal or usual
2) Low
3) High.

Usually, you get harmonicas in 12 keys. The lowest is G and the highest is F#.

So, from low to high you have:

G, Ab, A, Bb, B, C, Db, D, Eb, E, F, F#

Then you have special tuned harmonicas, which are tuned one octave
lower than their usual counterparts:

Low C (Hohner Marine Band 364), low D, low Eb, low E, low F (very
popular) low F#

And then you have a harmonica key which is tuned one octave higher
than its counterpart, the high G.

So, in the end, you have 19 keys available. From low to high:

Low C (MB 364), low D, low Eb, low E, low F, low F#, G, Ab, A, Bb, B,
C, Db, D, Eb, E, F, F#, high G.

Note that there are people offering an even more extended range of
keys, but these are not mass produced (like a high A or a low A).

All the best,
Fernando