[Harp-L] What's the big deal?

Interesting posts on the L of late.

JR Ross has stirred the pot with some
most-excellent and provocitive posts. His points
are well taken and his logic is solid (for the most
part).

Therefore I concede:
1) You can't play everything on a single diatonic
and have it sound perfect. Just isn't in the
physics.
2) Even the very best OB players struggle with
timbre and intonation problems. It comes with the
territory.
3) Music is percieved differently by different
people. Intonation/timbre problems that are
intolerable to one person, go un-noticed (or are
even appreciated) by others. Some people love the
banjo. Go figure.

These are very valid points. And my response to it
all is this... So what?

I mean, what's the big deal? Are we here to see
that the harmonica takes over the world? Or are we
here to learn a lot and have a ton of fun?

I say we stick aruond see where this will little
beastie of an instrument will lead us. I love that
some among us are pushing the envelope. I say keep
pusing until it can't be pushed anymore!

If someone can't stand to hear Howard Levy play
Masquerade on a diatonic harp... I say, hey, listen
to something else? There are many other versions of
that song to choose from. Personally, I don't think
the harmonica is the right axe for all music
either. But GOD BLESS those souls who are making
the attempt... to see just how far they can go. To
me, that's Incredible!!

There are no problems, only solutions.

No one is forcing anyone to learn overbending
techniques, or even to accept them in any given
musical context.

Postulating that perhaps a melding of many various
playing techniques, various kinds of harps and
various harp tunings is a good way to approach
complex music is a WONDERFUL idea. I say, GO for
it!

I happen to agree. My personal level of OB playing
and/or understanding of the deepst aspects of harp
are miniscule. I only know a limited number of
positions on diatonic and so keep all keys on hand.
I'm not good enough on a chromatic to play in every
key, so I keep several keys around of that
instrument as well.

No biggie. To each his own. I don't see where the
argument is. One guy is trying to stretch really
far one way, another guy is stretching another way.
That's a really good thing.

More power to anyone who keeps this thing alive and
vibrant and growing.

Okay... I've had my say.

Harpin in Colorado,
--Ken M.