Re: [Harp-L] Paddy Richter

Bobbie wrote (referring to the relative merits of retuning 3-blow vs. 2-draw):

Has anyone compared these options for ease of play and useful note access? I hope so... please don't make me have make time to investigate this or we'll NEVER know!! ;)

Time's a-wastin'...
Cheers!
Bobbie

I'm not very comfortable with alternative blow-draw patterns which is why the 2-draw option was what I went for. It does involve a little bit of jumping around as you said but each note of the scale is the same air-direction in every octave my way. I have a bit of trouble adjusting to the upper end of a chromatic, briefly, on the infrequent occasions I resort to them after playing the high end of my diatonics. It's just what you're used to. As I've played more and more I know I could easily handle the more widespread "Paddy" alternative now, but inertia and the ease of retuning my way has led me to keep to my chosen path. I even had the privilege of discussing it in person with Brendan Power many moons ago when he played at our folk club, but, whilst he was curious as to my alternative "Paddy," I don't think I convinced him to change. ;-) Nearly all my playing is melody-playing with other instruments in an Irish session setting and I'm really not too concerned about what chords I have or haven't got - I'm a confirmed puckerer and play single notes nearly all the time.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm