Re: [Harp-L] A Whiter Shade of....Yikes! +JB

On Dec 26, 2006, at 11:06 AM, Michael Peloquin wrote:

From: Bob Cohen <bcohen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Doesn't this issue all boil down to who actually wrote the song?

the arrangement. It was definitely not the lyrics. Alfred "Pee Wee" Ellis (sax) was the architect of most of this, yet JB gets most "writing" credit. I would bet the rhythm section was very involved also.

This brings up a big question for me as a (primarily) self-taught harp player with lots of songs rattling around in my head. Without the skill to play a chordal instrument like keys or guitar or the ability write black dots on music paper, the process almost always requires collaboration. And even when I hear each of the parts and can clearly state them the songs rarely come out as I hear them in my head. So what's a harp player to do?

Bob

Bob Cohen
Principal, MojoTools Web Design
Blues Harmonica Lessons