Re: [Harp-L] A Whiter Shade of....Yikes! +JB

From: Bob Cohen <bcohen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Doesn't this issue all boil down to who actually wrote the song? Very often the finished product is a result of a collaboration. The "credited" song writer comes to rehearsal with a rough outline and a "head" arrangement. The boys in the band listen and then the ideas fly. Pretty soon, a song gestates and is born.

So who wrote the song?

Is it the guy who came in with the original idea? The guy who added the killer intro or the solo most clearly identified with the song? The guy who came up with the perfect bass line that formed the groove that opened the mind of the soloist that transported the vocalist who became the moment that made the song? Is it the guy who put up the money for the studio time and insisted that he receive song writer credit or no dough?

With the passing of the immensely talented James Brown, this could become a very big issue. Most JB tunes strength was in the groove and the arrangement. It was definitely not the lyrics. Alfred "Pee Wee" Ellis (sax) was the architect of most of this, yet JB gets most "writing" credit. I would bet the rhythm section was very involved also.

Harmonica content: I play sax and a little harmonica and am heavily influenced by JB. Among the many instrunments that JB dabbled in, I don't think that he was a harp player.

Michael Peloquin http://tinyurl.com/5tpjg http://www.harpsax.com

Fixing up the home? Live Search can help http://imagine-windowslive.com/search/kits/default.aspx?kit=improve&locale=en-US&source=hmemailtaglinenov06&FORM=WLMTAG