Re: [Harp-L] Gifted Players, Who I Play For

ALL great musicians, (all great artists) work hard at what they do. If there
is a "gift", it enhances the hard work, but it does not replace it. Mozart
may have composed when he was a child, but if that was as far as he
progressed, we would not be speaking of him now. Genius only flowers with
effort.
As to the audience, take what appreciation you get. If you are playing in
front of anyone, you are no longer playing for yourself. If they like it,
job done. If you can play what you want and still please the listeners
terrific, but they come first. If they do not understand what it takes to be
there, you need to deal with that. I grow weary with performers complaints
about their audiences. No one forces you onto the stage.
None of this is to say I do not understand what you are saying, I just do
not completely agree.