[Harp-L] Re: Danny Boy

The only note that is a problem in this tune played in 2nd pos. (G on C)
is the first note of the the second part. It's the same note as the
first note of the first part, but it's up one octave. You can get the
F# (major 7th, key of G) on draw 2 by bending one semitone, but it
requires an overblow on 5 or a retuned draw 5 to get it in the second
octave. You could, of course, head for hole 9 and bend it down a
semitone, but then you'd run out of harp for the rest of the 2nd
part...unless you've got a 12 or 14 holer.
Personally, I'd play the thing in 1st position and be done with it.

>>> <moandabluz@xxxxxxx> 6/12/2006 18:19:18 >>>

    Charlie McCoy recorded Danny Boy in second position. The reason he

lists four harps is because he used a second harp just to get the one
note, and he modulated, so he needed two more harps.  This was recorded

before he began playing country tuned harps. As far as I know, though I

haven't tried it for some time.. the entire song can be played in
second position on a country tuned harp without difficult bends.  I
have also played it in first position and didn't think it was terribly

hard to get the right notes.. Then again, I have a tin ear :)
Steve "Moandabluz" Webb
always a fool for  the harp