From: kkkwok@xxxxxxxx
To: Harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 1:09 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Danny Boy

Can you play Danny Boy on 10 hole diatonic in C or G? I have been to
several SPAHs last 6 years but I have not met any one who did it It was
played on chromatic always. I still remember superb rendition by Douglas
Tate and Sunny girl Conger on stage who received huge applause. The
answer is no first and possible yes if you can bend notes perfectly.
There is no problem if you play chromatic since it is a complete music
instrument. Needles to say diatonic is best for blues. Diatonic is good
for one octave music and there are only few songs or music you can play.
Since Danny boy is one of my favorites, I tried to play it on diatonic
last several years and I got frustrated since it lacks low A and F notes.
It took over a year to learn to bend low B to A (acceptable ?) , hole 3
draw. It is still hit or miss and I am afraid to play it in public. I
remember Winslow saying if you play Danny Boy and hit low A by bending
with jazzy sound they will kick you out of Ireland. You have to bend it
to perfect or near perfect A note acceptable to any musician or pianist.
What are solutions? 1. play chromatic 2. play tremolo 16 hole Hohner
Echo made in China(cheap) or high quality Tremolo 24 hole S-24 HQ made
by Samick in Korea, grand piano maker, www.samick.co.kr, click English
version, music instr. for kids. I find it perfect non chromatic 3 octave
with correct pitches. 3. use two diatonics. Hold C on top and Bb.
Start with 3 draw on C and play by ear or read notes. Low A note is on
the Bb harp on hole 3 draw. Low F is on 2 draw but not needed. You can
play 2 octaves. If you want to play in G, hold G harp on top and F harp
below and you can play in same way. If you want to play any note with
any accidental # or b on diatonic without bend, you may put Db harp on
top of C harp. You may need to use a special hand made kit designed to
hold 2 or 3 diatonics to play properly or chromatically in 2.5 octaves.
You may write to me if interested in purchase. 4. play Lee Oskar
Melodymaker C or G. I find it works fine with good sound after you
unlearn to play in reverse draw or blow low notes. You will blow to get
A, 3 hole. and you still have to bend 5 F# to F. to play Danny Boy. If
above descriptions are unclear, write me and I may consider to
demonstrate on Youtube.com. Ken in Ga