Re: [Harp-L] How we learned diatonic harmonica in the "olden days"

Very cool thread. I think that I was lucky INITIALLY. I say that because about 15 years
ago my friend comes over with a beat up Marine band in C. He was very excited in what
he learned and wanted to show it off. He played a real simple 2 hole riff and I thought it
was cool so I said "let me try". he handed over the harp and I played it just like he did. He
then (a little aggravated) said "try this". He did a similar little riff with a bent 2 draw. I asked
him to give me a little explanation on how he did it and he did. I then took the harp and
played the same little riff with the bent notes and all. At that point he looked at me and the
harp and said "keep the damn thing". He also gave me the little harp for dummies book with
it. That's where the luck ended. I spent hours with the harp and somewhat scanned through
the book and pretty much figured it out. Within about 2 years I had figured out all of the tunes
on Jonathan Edwards CD and Whammer Jammer (without the blow bends) so I thought my
shit didn't stink. I later got into a weird rock kinda band with 11 pieces and did that for about
2 years. At this point I realized that I really sucked. I had seen all of the local cat's and
bought up all the blues CD's but I didn't sound like any of them. My tone was thin like a needle
and I hung around at the road block I had hit years before. I then got in touch with a guy by
the name of Tom Townsley and took some lessons. I learned more in 3 weeks than I did in
the proceeding 10 years. WOW, I was on my way..... After a few month's Tommy and I
became good friends and started hanging out a lot and that was about the end of the formal
training. Now I still suck but at least I can get the elusive sounds out of the harp that used to
seem impossible ; - )

I really wish I knew about all of the resources out there back then. The trip would have been much shorter.

Scooter