Re: [Harp-L] epiphone amp

Richard: thanks for writing.  It's all subjective, I guess.  I should point out that this amp has been anything but road-tested.  I play in several groups, one of which is Big Al & the Heavyweights (Jason Ricci and the vastly underappreciated Harmonica Red each formerly occupied the harp chair in this group).  Big Al insists on a big Bassman-ish harp amp in his group, and all of the other gigs I have had since I bought the amp have been with an acoustic-ish group called Animal Farm.  So, the point is I haven't been able to use it in a gig setting, or even at a jam.  I may have a different opinion then.  I do think it needs some sort of reverb or slapback delay pedal.  (To answer your question, I generally use a Shure SM545SD mic for amplified play.)

  Also, I have a recording session tonight and am going to try using the Epiphone... I am a little concerned, though, about the hum that the amp produces and whether that will make it unusuable for recording.  I don't think it will be an impediment to live performance.  Bottom line: I heard Fingers playing through it and thought it sounded great, and I liked the tone I got when I played through it (much more than the small Crate amp I used to have, BTW).  For $120 on eBay, it was hard not to give it a shot.

  By the way Richard, I recorded a song for my upcoming CD using the Digitech RP200.  I really loved the sounds I was getting out of it using your patches (modified slightly), especially for this type of song (a funky instrumental with harmonica, guitar, drums and didgeridoo).  It's not finished yet, but when it's done I will send it to you.  Thanks as always for all you do for harmonica players everywhere.
  -s-

Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  That's pretty much the opposite of my experience. Go figure. What mic are you using, Scott?

I'd like to note that Musicians Friend and American Musical supply are both very friendly dealers for musicians who have to buy to try. I bought one of the 5-watt Epiphones from Musicians Friend, tried it, didn't dig it, and returned it a few days later, no problem. I didn't like the 15-watt Epiphone I tried at Guitar Center a few months ago, either.

---
My musical home:  http://www.scottalbertjohnson.com
Find me on MySpace:  http://www.myspace.com/scottalbertjohnson