Re: Re: [Harp-L] Meisterklasse

Rob Paparozzi wrote:
> Ahhhhh...thanx Phil...
> so they went from 9 down to 5 Screws.....my mistake.
> You'd think the 5 screws would be pretty tight? but there IS a
> difference.....
>
> Are you using the newer or older MK's?

I think we're mixing talk about pre-MS and MS Meisterklasses here.
The original handmade Meisterklasse that PT is referring to has nine
screws, not counting the cover mounting screws.  There are five
across the back and four across the front, including two through
comb tines (between holes 4 & 5 and between holes 7 & 8).

The MS Meisterklasses originally had five screws (again, not
counting the cover mounting screws) -- four across the back and one
in front, between holes 5 & 6.  Later they switched to three screws,
two in back and one in front, and rely on the cover mounting screws
at the ends to complete the set.

I have LOTS of these old handmade Meisterklasse and have worked on
them for a lot of customers.  I like their small size and their
heft, which is similar to a modern Suzuki Promaster.  Unfortunately,
they were produced at a time when Hohner production quality wasn't
at its best, and so they can be leaky.  They're certainly worth the
work it takes to restore them.

Also, because they were made on the same handmade frame as the
Marine Band/Special 20/Golden Melody that's still made today, you
can replace reeds in worn out plates without a lot of issues.  They
had the same short slot/long slot configuration found in other
Hohner handmade harps.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps