Re: [Harp-L] Norton Buffalo

Michael -

  I too remember Norton Buffalo saying his father had been a player.  I remembered Norton from Commander Cody & his Lost Planet Airmen - and from playing that great multi-diatonic solo on "Runaway" with Bonnie Raitt.  I was also impressed by his fluency and style with the chromatic.

  My Uncle played (well, I'm told), although he died in Korea before I was born.

  I still have his 1949 Super Chromonica in the wood/leather case lined with blue felt.   It serves as another part of the inspiration, I guess - sort of a reminder of my mission.

  I'm sure those who have formalized roots and training in the family (a parent or sibling) have much stronger bonds than that.

  Mark Russillo
  a.k.a. The Rhode Island Kid

Michael Polesky <m.polesky@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hi All,

I just want to say that when I heard Norton Buffalo at SPAH play chromatic I
was absolutely floored. He has as beautiful a tone as any chromatic player
I have ever heard. In the lower octaves he sounds remarkably like a cello
(I think). Even after several years on Harp-L I was not aware that he
played chromatic and, as a result, it was an extra little surprise gift for
me. I think his tone is quite unique. I asked him what he thought was
important in a microphone for the low end of the chromatic (64 or tenor).
He told me that holding the microphone as close as possible was the key and
that any good vocal mic would do.

I believe he said his father played harmonica as well. Chris Bauer and
Michael Burton are the onlyothers I recall who are second generation.
Anyone else out there? Listen to Norton and you will be amazed,

Michael