Re: [Harp-L] Any Steve Baker Special Marine Band Fans?

I think the most useful 14-hole harp is the F I love it! I set my harps my self and the baker harpâ??s needed some adjustments, probably because of the larger comb. Also the major seventh note on the first octave is very useful.

The F harp is high but it seams that a lot of the bands I work with like the key of C. So this makes playing in second position more enjoyable. Also most Melody's are written for sax and flute and the phrasing is between two octaves, it is very useful to have that lower octave.

I encourage harp-lers to learn to tune and set your harps your self. I will now brag and say I have not bought a harp in ten years! Well the foils my endorsement possibilitiesâ?¦ When I met Howard levy he had a crusty golden melody that he had for years and I was amazed because I use to blow out a harp every two weeks. This was manly because of blowing to hard. Sonny Jr showed me about less wind is more and that you should let the amp do the talking.

That was two steps, then I learned to tune my harps, I have always had an ear for guitars going out of tune, little did I know that I was always sharpâ?¦ most Hohner harps are machine tuned, sharp! Then learning to set or pat my reeds down closer to the reed plate to my taste was the last step of my road to saving money and more important to a better tone and understanding of how to be a better harp player.

I have to admit I send my chromatic to Hohner but some day Iâ??ll get to that as well. Yes I did wreck my first experiments on my harps but it was worth it! I can get all the overblows and overdraws and my harps bend like a dream and when they donâ??t I fix them.

Thanks Sonny JR and Howard

Miguel Weissman
www.miguelweissman.com

Captron100@xxxxxxx wrote:
In a message dated 4/14/2006 2:36:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,