[Harp-L] 99 and 44/100%: Pure Unadulterated B.S.

There's nothing in Chris's comments that offends me at all, just because -
it applies to ME.

I ain't no statistician, but I do have a smattering of higher mathematics on
my (former) resume, including engineering calculus.

One of my favorite books was used as the course book for the college
statistics class. It's a gold mine of how to use actual statistics
incorrectly to "prove" a point. Here's the book info, if you want to see for
yourself:

How to Lie With Statistics
by Darrell Huff and Irving Geis
Copyright 1982, Norton paperback reissue 1993
ISBN 0-393-31072-8
W. W. Norton & Company, Inc.

There is NO statistical validity to the 99.xx% that Chris mentioned. It was
made up on the spur of the moment for purely illustrative comparison, as are
xx.xxx% of such statistics. There is no research, no mathematics, NOTHING
behind it except a "gut feeling" and a W.A.G. (not even close to a
S.W.A.G.).

However, that does not invalidate Chris's point: some percentage (most,
99.xx%, etc.) of "musicians" (usually instrumentalists more so than
musicians, IMHO) do not obtain the training (music theory, whatever) and the
self-discipline that would qualify them as "real" musicians to other "real"
musicians.

SO WHAT?!?

I don't play (or study music theory or buy harmonicas [obligatory harp
content]) to please anyone else but ME. Perhaps I'm just an old f@r+ who has
reached the point that I realize I can spend the remaining years of my life
doing things I WANT to do, instead of things somebody else figures would be
"good for me" - or that I HAVE to do to keep my family housed, clothed and
fed.

I'd be willing to bet (with absolutely no statistical validation) that the
same percentage of people who are "crap" is likely to be about the same for
ANY human endeavor.

There are only a handful of people who have the self-discipline, drive,
focus, and talent to become a part of that statistically insignificant 0.xx%
who will be "real" whatevers. Sometimes, "life" intervenes in ways that just
do not allow a person to dedicate the amount of time and effort required to
achieve that "elite" level without sacrificing other parts of life that are
considered as (or more) important as playing music at the "non-crap" level
like Chris, or Howard, or Little Walter, or (insert your own preference for
one of the "elite" group).

Instead of berating ourselves for NOT achieving SOMEBODY else's notion of
what WE should be doing, and getting upset about being part of that "crap"
group, we should recognize that there ARE a small percentage of people who
CAN and WILL dedicate themselves to their "art", and achieve what the rest
of us can only dream of accomplishing musically.

I guarantee you that if you sacrifice everything for a specific goal, you
will most likely achieve it - but you WILL pay a very real price for it in
terms of other parts of your life. It is not without reason that the great
blues artists have spoken of "selling their soul to the devil at the
crossroads" in return for their "ability" to play their chosen instrument.
If we understand the metaphor, it can provide a very real glimpse into the
price to be paid for that kind of skill and success. The "crossroads" is
that point in your life when you make a decision: (a) follow the muse
(devil) wherever it goes - and the other parts of (and people in) your life
be damned; or (b) take the "safe" road - and the attendant "joys" of family,
job, etc. - but without becoming something other than a "crap" musician. The
important thing is to make a conscious CHOICE - and then don't berate
yourself and curse your life wishing for something you didn't have the
cajones to choose to do, falsely claiming "Life is UNFAIR", "I had NO
CHOICE", and other responsibility-evading B.S.

Ask some of the musicians who are on the road almost continuously what they
would like more of in THEIR lives, and I think you'll find they would like
more time at home with the people in their lives who are significant to
them. Very few people reach the end of their years and sigh, "I wish I had
spent more time at work." For professional-level (non-crap) musicians, music
is a lot of time-consuming HARD WORK. That doesn't mean they don't enjoy it.
But it does mean that the lackadaisical attitude of "crap" musicians is
totally absent. These people WORK at it! It is their number one priority.

Count me in with the "crap" musicians. I have other things in my life
besides music and harp playing - and I LIKE IT that way! YMMV...

More power to Chris, Douglas, Walter (Little and Big), Howard, Jason,
Robert, Dennis, Rod (Piazza and Paparozzi), Allen, Winslow, David, Charlie
(McCoy and Musselwhite), Mickey, Terry, Buddy and all the other masterful
musicians that create music so wonderful, so beautiful that it moves me to
want to emulate them! (Forgive any mistyping of names, please, and I
certainly do not mean that if your name wasn't listed above, then you are a
"crap" musician.)

So, quitcherbitching about something of NO statistical significance and

                                PRACTICE!

Crazy ('bout harp!) Bob