Re:[Harp-L]Little Walter

Paul Routledge <kingley@xxxxxxx> wrote:
"Harp L should I believe be a place where we can all come together
to listen and learn from each other...I think it's about time that everyone
acted like mature adults and less like bickering school children."

This is something that keeps many of us from posting here on a regular basis and
drives others away completely. Having said that, I should not be getting
involved with this thread however, please consider this.

I played without amps for about the first 3 or 4 years as I was very young and
had no way of coming up with the 75-200 dollars it would have taken to get a
decent second-hand amp at that time. Of course, with 3 or 4 years of constant
playing, a kid has a lot of free time, I managed to develop a half-decent sound.

I was intrigued by the sonic possibilities of amplification however and started
regualarly visiting the music stores in town where I would plug into every amp
in the store and try them at a relatively low volume. In fact, I started
carrying a microphone around and would plug into every amp I saw everywhere. I
noticed something. Every amp sounded different and there were a lot of amps to
choose from in those days! If you tested 4 Super Reverbs, they would all sound
different, but if you took the time and adjusted the tone controls, every amp
could be made to sound good regardless of make or model, tube or solid state.

Fast forward 25 or so years to when I played a 1955 Fender Bassman on a regular
basis and would get constantly 'needeled' by the 'amp police' about what a great
amp I had, how nice it sounded and how they wish they had it.

So I bought a solid-state Fender Squire second hand for about 30 dollars. It had
a 6 or 8 inch speaker in it. I blew thru that for a few months. Every night it
was the same. "Hey man, nice sound. Where's your amp?" "There's my amp over
there, the Squire." "You're playing thru that thing?!"

All the best,
Keith Dunn