[Harp-L] 5th position

Buddha writes "Usually Larry has great advice but he's way off the mark here."

Buddha has good points in his response based, of course, on his own personal philosophy of playing. My philosophy is WAY different and works quite well for me and my students, as I'm sure Buddha's does for his.

It is interesting to note how many times Chris mentions "think" and "thinking" in his post (13 times). If he is reponding to my post, he missed the boat - I merely suggest "playing" the notes, "picking the correct notes", etc, as a substitute for "thinking position."

An understanding of what goes into picking correct notes, playing the notes, etc, is based on knowledge obtained layer by layer, through modal understanding, note choices within harmonic framework, a smattering of music theory, listening to great music, and thinking these through.

Since there is no "ultimate most correct philosophy", isn't it best to offer one's opinion as such, and not decide who is on or off the mark? That translates into some type of judgement being made - and what does that indicate about the one making the judgement?

The Iceman